Dating Advice Forums Internet Dating Stories Way Too Personal Facebook Twitter
Dating Advice Forums  

Go Back   Dating Advice Forums > Dating & Relationships > Internet Dating & Personal Ads

Old 03-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Marcopolo
Forum Member

Default Instant Messaging on Match

I was on Match.com several months ago and they had a feature where you could instatn message people. I am back on it again and I can't find the feature anymore, and I am a paying subscriber. Does anyone here know if it was removed?
Marcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Perspicacious73
Forum Addict

Preferred Name: Jason
Default Re: Instant Messaging on Match

I'm just guessing, but I suspect they replaced it with mobile.match.com.
Quote:
7. What can I do free using Match.com Mobile?

You can create a profile, find your matches, search and browse profiles of other users, send/respond to chat requests, and receive alert messages from other users for free.* You will need to purchase a Match.com Mobile subscription when you want to compose and send a personalized message to another user.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
thenewgirl
Forum Regular

yep, they removed it a while back. And FYI, they have a filter in their email system now, and if you're emailing a non-paying member and want to give them a way to contact you not through match, you need to disguise your email address or they'll either erase it or replace it with "soandso@talkmatch.com"
thenewgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
Vanillinsd
Forum Newcomer

Preferred Name: Mike

Gee, and I just thought these women weren't interested in me. So you are saying that if I say contact me at x@fastfood.com, they'll actually change it to my talkmatch.com address? Man, that infuriates me, thos b*stards. Do they actually look at the e-mail or is it just an automatic search on something@something.something? I'm wondering how creative I have to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewgirl
yep, they removed it a while back. And FYI, they have a filter in their email system now, and if you're emailing a non-paying member and want to give them a way to contact you not through match, you need to disguise your email address or they'll either erase it or replace it with "soandso@talkmatch.com"
Vanillinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
schlumpf
Forum Junkie

Sometimes they just throw the mail away, too. Their exact behavior is actually not determinstic, not always the same. Gloria and I did some tests in the past which also indicte their actual email forwarding is more broken than not, e.g. they don't use backup MXes. At least with their current layout you have a copy on their site.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Vanillinsd
Forum Newcomer

OK, so let me ask how evil they really are. If I look in my sent mail (both e-mailed to me from match as a CC) and on the site, the e-mail address included in my letter to the ladies is visible and correct. Does this mean ONLY the recipient's gets garbled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlumpf
Sometimes they just throw the mail away, too. Their exact behavior is actually not determinstic, not always the same. Gloria and I did some tests in the past which also indicte their actual email forwarding is more broken than not, e.g. they don't use backup MXes. At least with their current layout you have a copy on their site.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
schlumpf
Forum Junkie

No, as I said it is pretty much random, sometimes it is, sometimes it is not.

Obviously, if it is, then only the copy to your future wife is edited, why should they bother with your own CC?

I recommend you set up an empty test account, try various variants mailing to it and report back

Disclaimer: match.com is much better than they used to be when I quit 2003, I actually like them by now and (gasp) resubscribed. Obviously, if I want to send an email address, I do that in a seperate mail and the address spread out on seperate lines.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
thenewgirl
Forum Regular

Quote:
OK, so let me ask how evil they really are. If I look in my sent mail (both e-mailed to me from match as a CC) and on the site, the e-mail address included in my letter to the ladies is visible and correct. Does this mean ONLY the recipient's gets garbled?
If, in your email, you use the address that's linked to your match account they replace it. I cannot verify whether or not they replace all email addresses. I do know that if both parties are paying members, the addresses are not filtered, and if you are a paying member and the recipient is not, the address is only filtered on the recipient's end. If the recipient becomes a paying member, voila, the email address will miraculously be unfiltered in the email that is sitting in their match inbox.

I avoid it by saying my email address is "soandso 'at' blablabla 'dot' com". That has worked with two different people, so match hasn't wised up to that method yet.
thenewgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 07:07 PM   #9
Vanillinsd
Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to e-mail those people back with this technique.

Quote:
If, in your email, you use the address that's linked to your match account they replace it. I cannot verify whether or not they replace all email addresses. I do know that if both parties are paying members, the addresses are not filtered, and if you are a paying member and the recipient is not, the address is only filtered on the recipient's end. If the recipient becomes a paying member, voila, the email address will miraculously be unfiltered in the email that is sitting in their match inbox.

I avoid it by saying my email address is "soandso 'at' blablabla 'dot' com". That has worked with two different people, so match hasn't wised up to that method yet.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
TwinkleToes
Forum Junkie

Quote:
One of these days I'm going to get fed up with Lavalife and give match a try... If they did wise up above format we could pretend to be British and go with soand so at blahblat stop com.
TwinkleToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
Vanillinsd
Forum Newcomer

Well all I can say is it appears to be truly random. One woman who is not a member got my email address correct, a coupl of others appear to not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
One of these days I'm going to get fed up with Lavalife and give match a try... If they did wise up above format we could pretend to be British and go with soand so at blahblat stop com.