Dating Advice Forums Internet Dating Stories Way Too Personal Facebook Twitter
Dating Advice Forums  

Go Back   Dating Advice Forums > Dating & Relationships > Internet Dating & Personal Ads

Old 09-22-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
Doc07

Default Match.com Hidden/Blocking Answers...

After reading a bunch of the posts, I needed to find out a couple things from Match myself.

Question 1: "Will members that I send messages to be able to see my profile if it's hidden?"

Match Ans: "Thanks for contacting us. In regards to your email, if your profile is in a hidden status, no member will be able to view it. We currently do not have a feature that will only allow chosen members to view your profile. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered."

Question 2: "I know blocking a member prevents
that member from contacting you, however does it also prevent that member from seeing you in search results?"

Match Ans: "Thank you for writing. You can only block members from contacting you via email or Match.com Messenger. We do not have a feature that let's you block certain members from viewing your profile. If you have more questions or concerns, feel free to contact us."
Old 09-22-2004, 06:56 PM   #2
Riverboat
Forum Addict

Default Re: Match.com Hidden/Blocking Answers...

Interesting- thanks for checking on that, Doc. This still doesn't answer other questions, such as why they say that you've been "active" if you send an email using their system, even if you haven't logged in, but maybe that's just my pet peeve. Welcome to DAF.
"Well, unfortunately, the girlfriend fairy retired years ago. There's no longer a winged creature flitting around tossing girlfriends in guys' laps, so you've got to find one yourself." -Lissa 11/28/2006
Riverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
Perspicacious73
Forum Addict

Preferred Name: Jason

Doc07: When sending a Match message, you are given the opportunity to send along your profile. I suspect that's the way around dilemma #1, though I don't know much about how that works.

Somebody just let me know that when I tried to send my email address in the format "something at something dot net," Match stripped that out, even though on the CC: it came through just fine, and it wasn't my registered email, and it doesn't say they're going to do that in the TOS. I mean, okay, if Match is going to filter it, they should at least tell me so I don't look like a dork when I say, "My address is - -."

Luckily, the recipient was also a member, so she could write me back.
Perspicacious73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:25 AM   #4
Doc07

I tested this out… if your profile is hidden, match doesn’t give you the choice to send along your profile. There’s no box to check off. When in a hidden state, the recipient just receives your headshot and your vital info next to it and that’s it.

I also tested sending along my email address as well. I sent a message to a dummy profile I made up and put my email address on a separate line at the end like I always do… “abcd1234@hotmail.com”… and I was pissed when I checked and saw in my message that it wasn’t even there! They didn’t even change it to talkmatch.com… they deleted it entirely!! What the F*ck!!? Then I tried “abcd at hotmail” within a sentence and that got through. I figured “.com” might be a signal to filter and it’s not really necessary to include it. Everyone should know to put .com at the end of an email address by now.

It's funny, now that I think about it, I've received messages from girls who included their email address... and it was their username@talkmatch.com... at the time I was thinking to myself... why the hell are they putting talkmatch.com as their address?? Duuuhhh...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
schlumpf
Forum Junkie

In a word, match.com has all the bells and whistles that make you look foolish but none of the useful options. What else is new?
Old 09-24-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
Riverboat
Forum Addict

Doc, you can avoid (some of) these issues by cutting and pasting your profile text into the message window. This works even if you're hidden. Hope this helps.
"Well, unfortunately, the girlfriend fairy retired years ago. There's no longer a winged creature flitting around tossing girlfriends in guys' laps, so you've got to find one yourself." -Lissa 11/28/2006
Old 10-02-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
RetiredinOH
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat
This still doesn't answer other questions, such as why they say that you've been "active" if you send an email using their system, even if you haven't logged in, but maybe that's just my pet peeve.
How do you send an e-mail through their system without logging in? Didn't know you could do that. When you do log in to send an e-mail (or do anything else) you are considered "active".
RetiredinOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
Riverboat
Forum Addict

I meant if you send an email through your regular (non-Match) account to a Match address (someone@talkmatch.com), I think they count that as "activity" even if you haven't logged in. If someone knows this for sure, I'd appreciate the input.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:10 AM   #9
RetiredinOH
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat
I meant if you send an email through your regular (non-Match) account to a Match address (someone@talkmatch.com), I think they count that as "activity" even if you haven't logged in. If someone knows this for sure, I'd appreciate the input.
They may be able to do that (count as activity) if you're sending the e-mail using the same account that you have registered with match since they then know who the sender is. You might try sending with a secondary e-mail account that you may have that is not registered with match. Then again they might not let it go through at all under that condition.

Interesting question.
RetiredinOH is offline   Reply With Quote