Dating Advice Forums Internet Dating Stories Way Too Personal Facebook Twitter
Dating Advice Forums  

Go Back   Dating Advice Forums > Dating & Relationships > Internet Dating & Personal Ads

Old 09-08-2004, 11:39 PM   #1
FlowerGRL
Forum Junkie

Default Hidden profiles

Did someone recently say that they had a 'hidden' profile on match, but were able to send it to people they were interested in?
Right now my profile is hidden because I've noticed two guys from work are on match, and I live in a fairly small city, and for some reason just don't want to come up in their searches for 'local girls'. (Because there aren't too many of us).
On 'lavalife', I can block these guys (not because I don't like them, just not interested) and they can't see my profile in searches anymore, and vice versa. But there doesn't seem to be any such option in match.
So I'm wondering if I can still contact guys I'm interested in, and attach my profile/photo etc?
FlowerGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
Nan
Forum Junkie

Preferred Name: Nan
Default Re: Hidden profiles

When I was on Match, people you had already corresponded with could still see your profile even if it was hidden.
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
FlowerGRL
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
When I was on Match, people you had already corresponded with could still see your profile even if it was hidden.
But if you hadn't yet made contact, did making contact allow them to see it?
FlowerGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:07 AM   #4
schlumpf
Forum Junkie

Well, we can try that out.

But match doesn't act consistently all the time.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:59 AM   #5
Damage Done
Forum Enthusiast

Preferred Name: King Charlemagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlumpf
Well, we can try that out.

But match doesn't act consistently all the time.
I've noticed this also.

I've received email from people who have hidden profiles and I could NOT read their profiles. But this was a few years ago.

I don't understand why general searches frequently return profiles that are "active within 2 months" first. They should use more intelligent ordering.(assuming that "active within 2 months" is what it means.)
Damage Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
Riverboat
Forum Addict

I may have been the person who said that about hidden profiles. I know that you can email people on Match and have them read it even if your profile is hidden. The only caveat is that Match won't let you attach photos (if your profile doesn't have a photo) to the first email. However, you can just send a second email with the attached photos. About them being able to see the profile even if it's hidden, I don't think that's true now (although with Match, as has been said, you never know.) So I cut and paste my profile into the first email. Hope this helps.
"Well, unfortunately, the girlfriend fairy retired years ago. There's no longer a winged creature flitting around tossing girlfriends in guys' laps, so you've got to find one yourself." -Lissa 11/28/2006
Riverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #7
Damage Done
Forum Enthusiast

Preferred Name: King Charlemagne

One more question about Match.com. Why the heck do so many profiles have a "No Answer" in the marital status box? Nearly every new has this.
Damage Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
Riverboat
Forum Addict

I haven't noticed that- that seems like a big red flag.
"Well, unfortunately, the girlfriend fairy retired years ago. There's no longer a winged creature flitting around tossing girlfriends in guys' laps, so you've got to find one yourself." -Lissa 11/28/2006
Old 09-09-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
Gloria
Forum Junkie

Preferred Name: Glory

I think if a whole bunch of profiles created after at a certain time have a certain thing checked it's occasionally because the system was acting up.

I think when my friend Jon filled his out he clicked "wants children" and then tried to click "1-3" or whever the option was and for some reason it didn't take and left it at the default, which was zero (and made the whole thing look pretty confusing).

If I remember correctly it was just a glitch that happened with pretty much every profile filled out at the time. They eventually fixed it but it was like that awhile.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #10
schlumpf
Forum Junkie

Match.com converted all profiles from one form to another and left many fields in the uninitalized state.

They just stink in my opinion but to each their own
Old 09-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #11
thenewgirl
Forum Regular

Hidden profiles on match are hidden - no one can see them. The thing that may make people think otherwise is that match differentiates between "dating" and "friends" profiles, often people click both options when they sign up, but when they hide their profile, they hide only the dating one and not the friends one. In this instance, you can find their profile in a user name search.
thenewgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:54 PM   #12
Riverboat
Forum Addict

NewGirl, very interesting, and good to know.